EI-HFC was built as a Chipmunk T.10 No. WP 857 by The De Havilland Company. Its first flight, post production, is recorded as being in September 1952. The aircraft was operated by the UK’s Royal Air Force from new until September 1975. It flew over 6,500 hours with the RAF.
The aircraft was then converted for civilian use to an MK.22 and went into private ownership, where it remained until May 2015. While being privately operated in the UK, it originally bore the RAF paint scheme. In 2012, the aircraft was re-covered with ceconite material and painted with the Irish Air Corps 170 markings.
Upon transfer to Irish Historic Flight Foundation, the aircraft was registered as EI-HFC. It now has over 8,500 hours flown.